On Tuesday 20th February the Young Member (YM) Showcase competition was held at Manchester University to select 4 candidates to be put forward to the international round of the competition. The day consisted of 10 short-listed presentations which where judged by Carl Baker, Qiang Liu, Suipipi Weerasinghe, Simon Sutton and Aruna Gunatilake.
The lucky winners will now be put forward as the UK nominations to the international YM showcase for an opportunity to present at the CIGRE Paris session 2019. Up to 32 Young Members from across the world (2 per study committee) will be chosen for this prestigious prize.
Congratulations to the winners of the UK competition:
- Jonathan Bowes
- James Dixon
- Lewis Hunter
- Papiya Dattaray
After the presentation tours ofThe National Graphine Centre, HV lab and RTDS labwere organised. The NGN committee would like to thank Manchester University for hosting this event, and for the judges who gave up their own time to attend the event.
- Xiang Zhang – A generic solution to the Determination of Winding Hot spot Temperature
- Diptargha Chakravorty – Demand response through point-of-load voltage control
- Lewis Hunter – Medium Voltage DC
- Jingyi Wan – FEA of required conditioning time for cable insulation ahead of accelerated wet ageing
- James Dixon – Characterisation of Electric Vehicle Rapid Charging Demand based on Smartphone Location Data from google maps
- Papiya Dattaray – Novel Mitigation and Monitoring of SSR Oscillations
- Yun Li – Performance of phase-locked loop based converters
- Jonathan Bowes – Quantifying the value of interconnection between islanded Minigrids for universal electrification
- Shanika Matharage – Methanol as a paper ageing indicator for oil/paper insulation systems with alternative insulating liquids