Tuesday 18th October 2022 12:00 – 13:30 BST
Power Electronics is a critical enabler for an accelerated transition to achieve a net-zero carbon electricity network. Such a technology provides controlled power flow as DC couplers, point-to-point connections as DC links and meshed DC grids with multiple points of connection. Medium-voltage DC (MVDC) can be viewed as acting in the same way as high-voltage DC (HVDC) systems in transmission grids, just on a smaller scale and over comparatively shorter distances or at a specific site. This joint working group (JWG) C6/B4.37 has built upon and leveraged the expertise and knowledge from different Study Committees to present the potential advantages of a DC approach (MVDC networks incorporating DER) as an alternative to AC distribution systems. As the first of its kind, this Technical Brochure (TB) summarized the latest industrial practices and engineering insight, academic interests and research advancement on Medium Voltage DC (MVDC) system at the international level. It will contribute to the accelerating of a $multi billion market, as part of the net zero energy transition.
To register for this Webinar click the button below.
- Welcoming Address:
- Christine Schwaegerl, Chair of CIGRE C6. Topic: Working group and its value
- Presentations from WG Convenor and Secretary
- James Yu, Convenor, SP Energy Networks.
- Jun Liang: Secretary, Cardiff University Topic: Structure of the TB and key findings
- Presentations from WG members:
- Stephan Rupp, Maschinenfabrik Reinhausen. Topic: MVDC Network Operation and Protection Requirements
- Piotr Dworakowski, SuperGrid Institue. Topic: DC-DC converters for MVDC networks.
- Philippe Maibach, Hitachi Energy. Topic: Power electronics topologies and examples in use in MV as of today
- A film of Angle DC project
- Q&A and Open discussion
- Summary by Convenor and Secretary
- Photos & Close