The Challenges of Connecting Electric Vehicles to the Grid
CIGRE UK Evening Seminar
Thursday 4th July 2019 | 5.00pm to 9.00pm
Location: WSP Offices, Level 2 The Mailbox, Wharfside Street, Birmingham, B1 1RT
There are a host of variables to consider when attempting to forecast the impact of the UK Government’s drive to have zero emission cars and vans by 2050. The development of a comprehensive and coherent charging infrastructure to keep pace with the required growth of EVs is certainly one of the most significant challenges to achieving this ambitious target.
It is the view of many that our power grid, from Transmission through to Distribution will need to look to the implementation of practical ‘smart solutions’ in order to avoid costly and disruptive network reinforcement. These solutions will necessitate that all stakeholders co-ordinate their efforts.
This CIGRE UK seminar, kindly hosted by WSP, will address some of the issues and describe the effort that are being made to quantify, model and plan for the challenge ahead.
Speakers & Topics
- National Grid: Tim O’Reilly (Product Development Manager – EV Strategy) – title to be announced
- TNEI Group: Gordon McFadzean (Senior Consultant) – Understanding the Impact of Electric Vehicles on Power Networks
- WSP & ENA: Shahram Kazemi (Principle Power Systems Engineer) – Techno-Economic Evaluation tool for the Impact of Low Carbon Technologies on the Electricity Networks
- Burns & McDonnell: James Crouch (Senior Power Systems Engineer) – When Electric Vehicles meet Electric Homes
- Strathclyde University: James Dixon (PhD Student/ NGN Member) – Local Network Impacts of the Electrification of Transport – A Glasgow Southside case study
- Energy Systems Catapult: Philip New (CEO) – title to be announced
- WPD: Peter White (Policy/Innovation Engineer) – WPD’s Electric Vehicle Strategy
All presentation materials will be made available, exclusively to those attending, post event.
Registration will commence at 5.00pm and the seminar will start at 6.00pm. Refreshments and food will be available upon arrival. The event will conclude at 9pm.
This must attend, informative (CPD) accredited event is not only exceptional value but it’s also an outstanding networking opportunity!
- CIGRE Individual Member/Collective Member: £50 + VAT
- Non-Member: £75 + VAT
- CIGRE NGN/Student Member: £25 + VAT
This must attend, informative (CPD accredited) event is not only exceptional value but it’s also an outstanding networking opportunity!
To register for this event click here